The winery was born in 2004 by the will of the Romeo family to resume the ancient art of wine in those places where heroic viticulture has always been practiced with naturalness. Hence the desire to preserve an ancient heritage of Etna, recovering antique vines, creating new terraces on which the vineyards rest and renovating age-old rural buildings. The location is enchanting, located on the steep slope of Mount Ilice, a crater formed after a major eruption in 1030 BC, at 750m above sea level, and embedded within the park of Etna. The great exposure to East also allows to enjoy an incredibly amazing view, overlooking the Ionian Riviera, the Bay of Taormina and the Strait of Messina. The Estate extends for about 11 hectares, half of which are cultivated with native varieties of vine, such as Nerello Mascalese and Carricante.
These places formerly belonged to the Vatican State and were completely wooded. Afterwards the Pope decided to donate to local farmers some areas to be used for viticulture. In return, these farmers had to produce wine, and to donate the tenth part of the wine produced to the State of the Church, as a form of payment. Even today there are some perfectly preserved ecclesiastical symbols inside the Estate. In a small palmento (the antique place where the grape was pressed to produce the must that was stored in large tanks) downstream of the Estate, there is a cross carved on the stone, that most likely indicates the place where the tenth part of the wine destined to the Vatican State was produced. This palmento will soon be restored, respecting the ancient walls and original elements such as the winepress and the tanks, and transformed into an elegant suite. Another ecclesiastical symbol is on the entrance of a larger palmento, nowadays restored and used as a restaurant, where on a keystone in lava stone the sacred ostensory is carved, important ecclesiastical symbol.